[TriLUG] HD failure eminent?

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 09:09:49 EST 2004

Scott G. Hall wrote:

> Of course there is a lot to be said about a new harddisk, being as cheap
> as they are now.  Who wants to fix a 2GB drive when you can afford a new
> 40GB to replace it?

Personally, I've had enough hassles with failed hard-drives lately, that
my suggestion is to buy a new drive at the first sign of possible
failure, and beat the old one to pieces with a sledge-hammer (after
copying the data off!) to make sure it doesn't get re-used by mistake.

Unless money is really tight, it seems to me that hard-drives
are cheap enough these days that it doesn't make sense to risk
playing around with a suspect drive.

TTYL,

Phil