[TriLUG] IDE Hard disk limitations BIOS and Linux

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 19:12:10 EST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:47:53 -0500, Aaron S. Joyner <aaron at joyner.ws> wrote:
> Rick DeNatale wrote:
 Does anyone know whether or not the PCI IDE ATA133
> >Controller Card that Intrex sells works with Linux?  One advantage of
> >this is that I could each of the four IDE Drives on a separate
> >channel.
> >

> Yes, it works quite well.  :)  I would certainly recommend it from the
> sheer perspective of separating out the drives onto individual channels.

I'd love for you or anyone else tell me how to use it.

 I decided to buy the drives, and the controller after confirming that
I could return an unopened drive without a restocking fee.

I installed the card and one drive. When I boot, it asks me to hit F3
to get into the RAID setup utility. This only seems to allow creating
raid sets.  If I escape out of this (or ignore  the prompt to hit F3
it simply shows that the drive is in the 1st RAID set and the system
never gets past that in the boot sequence.

According to the specs RAID is supposed to be optional for this
controller, but I've got no clue how to get around this.