[TriLUG] IDE Hard disk limitations BIOS and Linux

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 21:47:07 EST 2004

Well my BIOS doesn't give any option other than by hard/floppy/cd disk number.

It's also a little odd in the way it boots for SCSI.

When you power on you get the IBM splash screen, with the F1 prompt to
enter setup.

Regardless of whether you press F1 or not, the next thing you see is a
message from the Adaptec SCSI BIOS with another F key prompt to enter
SCSI setup, I think that this just lets you map SCSI device numbers to
BIOS device numbers, but I haven't really mucked with it so i'm not
sure.

I've pulled the IDE card out so that I can boot, but IIRC when it's in
the raid setup prompt comes up either right after the splash screen or
after the Adaptec SCSI "dialog". I don't think that I can even get
into the bios setup

I've done a bit of googling on this silicon image chipset, and there
seem to be both raid and non-raid cards using the chipset. Some
comments talk about re-flashing the card, some cards seem to have ROMs
rather than flash though. There are two chips on the card, and the one
which I presume contains the bios has a big red sticker over it so I
can't determine whether it's ROM or flash. In any event the flashing
tools all seem to require Windoze, and the only windoze machine I've
got access to is a Thinkpad and none of the little swinging doors seem
to be big enough to accomodate a PCI card (even a smallish one like
this).

In any case, it does seem now that the built-in IDE on the MOBO and
Linux >2.4.19 seems to see the drive as a 160MB so I can proceed
without the card. I do like the idea of a separate card, and separate
IDE channels for each of the IDE devices I have, but ...

In any event it's a learning experience. Most of the time I deal with
high-level software architecture issues, I'm really catching up on all
the hardware stuff I've missed since the mid to late 1980s. <G>