[TriLUG] official Linux on a laptop for under $500?

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 22 18:25:56 EST 2004

I agree, but for a different reason.  Let me drag out the soap box...

When I was in Korea I was supposed to attend the big "kick-off" project
meeting in a lovely town named Deagu.  One only small problem - I got
lost.  So lost, in fact, that I would have driven myself off a cliff if
I could have only found one.  When I finally got through to the Lucent
office they asked "where are you" and I replied "in front of Wal-Mart".
  Funny, everyone knew exactly where that was.

Wal-Mart in Korea was a lot different then Wal-Mart in the US (for one
thing you parked on the roof of the building - really).  The Korea
Wal-Mart stocked local foods and products and I really did not see much
overlap in inventory with the US stores I had visited.  Wal-Mart as the
ability to morph even within one country and it "localizes" better then
any other company I've ever seen.  In fact, there is one store in
Pennsylvania that has a section of the parking lot that was made into a
barn where the Amish can park their horse carriages.  They'll even feed
the horses, for a small fee.  Heck, they even have an on-site vet!

Wal-Mart appears to be heading to places you wouldn't expect - 3rd
world places that aren't thought of as needing a gigantic retail
location.  Why?  People in these places need products just like
anywhere else.  A mission might come into a country, build a school but
then the school has to be stocked.  Today it's probably a truck ride or
a Cessna 208 trip to who-knows-where but within the next decade I'll be
willing to bet that "somewhere" is going to be Wal-Mart who now, ta-da,
sells computers.  Not only computers, but computers that don't have
high costs or overheads (such as anti-virus subscription updates not to
mention a ludicrous toll paid to the richest man in the world).  I
wouldn't be surprised to see a Wal-Mart with a landing strip these "far
off" locations, but I'm getting off-topic.

The computers these children in the 3rd world will use will be
reliable, and linux is certainly that.  I would expect that Wal-Mart
may start selling Internet service next.  I don't know exactly how, but
I would imagine within the next 10 years they'll figure out a way to do
that in the 3rd world.  Linux, as well all know, can do just about
anything a school needs: firewall, mail server, web server, etc, etc.

Tomorrow's 3rd World children are going to the Internet as a tool to
level themselves with the rest of the world.  They are going to use
Linux; I see this as nothing but inevitable.  They will most likely
purchase these computers from Wal-Mart.  People from all over the world
have hatched Linux, GNU, and a million open-source projects.  The
hatchling is nearly ready to leave the nest and it's going to be a hell
of an interesting next decade to watch it take root all over the world
used a tool to gain knowledge and understanding.  And wealth.