[TriLUG] Backing up mail and MySql

Chander Ganesan chander at mti-nc.com
Thu Dec 23 10:14:58 EST 2004

The conversion from mbox to maildir (the files themselves) is pretty
easy, it's as simple as running a perl script:
.http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md/

You'll need to set up procmail to deliver using maildir format (assuming
that sendmail is using procmail as its mda).  I don't use procmail for
delivery...only for sorting/filtering so I can't offer much advice on
that...it does support maildir though.

UWIMAP doesn't support maildir (to the best of my knowledge).  Id'
switch to something like BincIMAP, which has excellent support for
Maildir, and will allow you to use checkpassword type authentication
(you may need to install checkpassword though for this).

For the conversion check out the link above, it will convert the
mailboxes to the new format, and also take care of removing the pesky
placeholder message at the top of each mailbox.

Chander Ganesan
Microhard Technical Institute, NC