[TriLUG] IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Fri Dec 24 09:55:45 EST 2004

Greg Brown wrote:
> Bottom line: if you could purchase a Thinkpad for linux use and only
> have one laptop to use for both work, home, etc which thinkpad would it be?

My last was a T23.  Currently a T30.  Both have been very reliable - although
the HD failed on the T23 (replaced next-day service under IBM service contract).
I used it an average of 10 hours/day during the week and 3 hrs/day on weekends
for 2 years.  Fortunately, it failed "softly" - I was able to save all
important data.  Incidentally, buying a second HD and Ultrabay adapter allows
for quick & painless backups.

Unfortunately, my experience with the T23 and Linux did not go well.
Never could get the APM features working to my satisfaction.  One of
my primary justifications for having a laptop is the ability to eject
it from the dock in the office, put it to sleep, go home, sit down on
the couch, open the Thinkpad and pick up right where I left off.  Under
Mandrake 9, the T23 could not do this reliably.  Eventually, I gave up
and went pack to windoze  :(

Hope you have better luck!

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.           |  http://www.webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software