[TriLUG] mandrake 10.1 and printing woes

H Brett Bolen wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 27 15:40:41 EST 2004

Has anybody had any trouble with cups specific to mdk 10.1?

I had cups running on 9.1 ( not sure on version) and I upgraded (
as in reinstalled) mandrake 10.1.

CUPS has been giving me troubles.

My printer is in a win2k box ( hp t45xi office jet).

I have configured it all as before, and I can print via

/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb smb://guest@fox/lp0 100 guest title 1 0 /etc/hosts

but when I try it through cups, it reports:

> Location: fox
> Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
> "Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...ERROR: Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED"

var/log/cups/error_log reports:

> E [27/Dec/2004:15:31:07 -0500] [Job 6] Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...ERROR:  Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I have a guest account with no password on the win2k box.  I've tried it with
a different account/password, and it is the same:  smbspool works but
cups doesn't.

> [root at hare cups]# cat /etc/cups/printers.conf
> # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.21rc1
> # Written by cupsd on Mon 27 Dec 2004 03:23:28 PM EST
> <DefaultPrinter lp0>
> Info HP OfficeJet T45
> Location fox
> DeviceURI smb://guest@fox/lp0
> State Idle
> Accepting Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> </Printer>
> [root at hare cups]#

I've also tried it with/without workgroup/domain, with no difference.

Here is what mdk10.1 installed.

> [root at hare cups]# rpm -qa | grep cups
> cups-drivers-10.1-0.2mdk
> cups-common-1.1.21-0.rc1.7.1.101mdk
> libcups2-1.1.21-0.rc1.7.1.101mdk
> cups-1.1.21-0.rc1.7.1.101mdk