[TriLUG] accessing mail.trilug.org, port 993

Brian Weaver brianweaver at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 28 15:47:22 EST 2004

Alan,

Have you tried using tcpdump to see what traffic is generated? Some
useful variants might be

/* secure IMAP on mail.trilug.org */
tcpdump -ni <interface> host mail.trilug.org and tcp port 993

or

/* all secure IMAP traffic */
tcpdump -ni <interface> tcp port 993

or

/* all traffic to mail.trilug.org */
tcpdump -ni <interface> host mail.trilug.org

Look at the man page for tcpdump for other useful options. I wouldn't
worry about looking at packet dumps if you are using Secure IMAP, it
should all be encrypted, however you might get cleartext upto STARTTLS
if TLS is supported.

-Weave