[TriLUG] Defeated by a website..

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Dec 30 14:12:43 EST 2004

Hi guys,
  Anyone have any luck running actual MSIE6 under Wine (or another Windows
emulator)?  One of our technicians needs to access a website that demands
real, honest-to-goodness IE6 (a masquerading Opera doesn't fool it).  The
tech support folks for that web service are zero help ("can he get access to
an IBM compatible machine? ...well it's not gonna run on linux").  Needless
to say, that's not a workable solution.

So I really need IE6, it would seem.  Anyone have some experience with this
sort of issue?  I'd also be very interested in a linux-native browser
solution also (although I really don't know how they do their checking).

The system is Debian Sarge.

Thanks,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning