[TriLUG] Debian Sarge is dying somehow

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Dec 31 12:52:56 EST 2004

Hi Y'all,
  In chasing the IE6.0 rabbit I mentioned earlier, I decided to go with the
remote desktop approach.  rdesktop seemed to install and operate perfectly
with no problems.  So I tried to create a desktop shortcut (er...  link to
application) to a one-line shell script I wrote to call rdesktop with the
appropriate flags and server address.  When I clicked the "Ok" button,
things went, for lack of a better explanation, to heck.
  The dialog for creating the link never really disposed of itself.  It
ceased to respond, and the entire system suddenly bogged down to a nearly
100% unresponsive crawl (no mouse response, etc).  Couldn't even switch
virtual terminals.
  I walked away for a bit and returned to a text screen chock full of
out-of-memory -related error text (which had filled the entire scrollback
buffer).
  On reboot, the system reaches "Starting system logging daemon: syslogd"
and hangs.  There is some hard disk activity now and then, and eventually,
if it is left to its own devices, it will again fill the buffer with
out-of-memory messages.
  Before this machine was loaded with Linux, it was a 98 machine that had
started to bluescreen uncontrollably.  I was hoping it was a software issue,
but this is starting to make me think maybe it's hardware-related.  Does
anyone have some input based on what I've just described?  Seen it before
and know what is likely the cause, and/or how to fix it?

Thanks, everyone.
~Brian
Brian A. Henning
Strutmasters.com