OS/2 (was: OT! Re: [TriLUG] Defeated by a website..)

Dan Monjar dan at daijin.dissimulo.com
Mon Jan 3 14:48:28 EST 2005

Greg Brown wrote:
> Digital UNIX (vs. analog UNIX I suppose) on the Alpha chip was a
> wonderful thing.
>
> Dave Cutler is one of the 14 Distinguished Engineers at Microsoft.  He
> worked for DEC and he contributed to VMS in many, many ways.  In a lot
> of ways the multi-threading engine of NT has the same flaws as VMS
> because of his cross-pollination (or so the theory goes).

Got two of those as well... I don't throw anything away, just ask the
wife ;-).  Sad story actually... Back in 98-99 my company was going to
move from a VMS based Manufacturing system (MANMAN anyone?) to the Baan
ERP system based on DEC Unix and a three-way cluster of Alpha 4100's.
Dual-processor, GIGs 'O RAM, 0.5 TB of disk... pretty nice stuff.  A
year into the project the parent company announced they were looking for
a "strategic alliance" for us.  Momentum on the Baan project nose-dived.
  We were finally taken over in 2001 and the ERP direction changed to
AS/400.  I was left with a damn fine set of DNS and SMTP servers.

--
Dan Monjar