[TriLUG] road runner and the disappearing web site.

Joel Sweatte sweattej at mphosp.org
Tue Jan 4 09:06:22 EST 2005

Hello , I have been experimenting with eGroupWare and have run into some
difficulty with....well I'm not sure.

The set up is just for experimentation so it's nothing terribly robust
or complicated. I have eGroupWare running on FC2, with up to date patch
levels, using Apache, PHP, etc. As I noted, eGroupWare WAS working fine
on this setup, I was able to access the site from work and home. Then
this past week, over the weekend, all of a sudden I can't get to the
site from anywhere but behind my NetGear RP114 router, i.e. 192.168.0.x.
I can't do a traceroute from work, it times out with NO (0)
hops...something I've not seen before. I have reset the RP114 back to
default, re-entered everything as before (after taking careful notes),
to include the port forwarding settings which was just port 80 anyway. I
have tried changing the listening port for apache from 80 to 8080 to
some other values, none of which worked (sorry for incorrect terminology
regarding 'listening port' I am not sure what the correct term is).
Tried road runner email support, ok I should have known better, but I
didn't know that then. Being barely literate regarding networking I
think I am barking up a tree until I can traceroute to the site. Oh, I
almost forgot, I use DYNDNS for the web site domain,
peekaboo.homelinux.net (208.11.191.109). I emailed the excellent DYNDNS
support folks who responded promptly and attempted to provide advice as
to ways to troubleshoot the problem even though DNS was proven not to be
the issue. What a concept, support that actually attempts to help! I
think I need to remove the NetGear and try going direct with the web
server but thought I would poll the extremely knowledgeable trilug
community first.

I am not sure if I am being 'blocked' by road runner. I can't imagine
why, the site has barely any traffic at all, I am the only user defined
to eGroupWare, as I said it was for experimentation. A friend told me
that if I have an open email relay they would block me. As far as I know
there is no email server running on that box. eGroupWare has an email
app that I have pointed at road runners POP/SMTP servers but that is it
as far as email goes.  If I have stepped on road runner toes is there
any way to find out what the issue is so I can fix it? I emailed
security at nc.rr.com but they haven't replied (what can you expect for
$40/month).

Thanks in Advance.