[TriLUG] HDD Migration

John Turner jdturner at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 5 19:55:47 EST 2005

On Jan 5, 2005, at 2:19 PM, Jason Browne wrote:

> I am trying to get some tips on migrating an install of Linux to
> another,
> bigger HDD?  It is a straight 1 HDD to 1 HDD change...  I know I could
> use dd
> , but I am trying to see if there is a better way.

I also just did this on a Linux box last week, but I was moving from a
250GB to a 40GB drive.  I used Mondo Rescue CD

http://www.mondorescue.org/download/MondoCD/documentation/
quickstart.html

For my 2.2GB system it created 2 CD images that I copied over and
burned on my Mac. Then I booted from the first CD and used the menu
system to restore everything. I was able to create my new partitions
and even changed the swap device. If you have too much data for CDs it
does work with DVDs, tapes, even NFS.

John