[TriLUG] Broken kmail in Debian sarge?

Sean Murphy s.murphy at acherial.homelinux.net
Wed Jan 5 22:51:50 EST 2005

Tom Bryan wrote:
| I know that there are some Debian users on the list.
|
| I just installed Debian (sarge) for the first time last weekend.
Since then,
| I have stumbled across a couple of programs that I had forgotten to
install
| (kuickshow, xemacs, etc.)  I used dselect to install them.  No problems.
|
| This morning, I realized that I was missing xpdf.  dselect, choose
xpdf, tell
| it to install packages required by (and recommended by) xpdf.  Install.
|
| Now, I was in a meeting at the time, so I was only half paying
attention to
| dselect.  I'm pretty sure that all I did was to select xpdf and resolve
| through its dependecies.  I remember seeing that one library package was
| being uninstalled because it is now deprecated and another one
replaced it.
| When the install step ran, I saw that dselect was installing a bunch
of KDE
| apps.  I was running KDE at the time, but I'm not sure whether that could
| cause the problem I'm seeing.
|
| I have rebooted the machine since then.  I can boot up and log into
KDE fine.
| I use a Konsole and browse slashdot with Konqueror.  I can open KMail,
but
| when I attempt to access IMAP over SLL, I get an error dialog that says
| "Could not start process for newimap".  This worked just before I
installed
| xpdf.
|
| apt-get update
| apt-get upgrade
| says that I have 0 packages to install.
|
| Any ideas for troubleshooting?  Does apt-get or dselect write logs
somewhere
| about exactly which packages it is installing?  I'd like to track down
that
| deleted library package and figure out what might be broken.
|
| Thank,
| ---Tom

I'd try apt-get install kde  that will check that you have all the
programs and libraries that are considered a part of kde by the Debian
maintainers. I won't, however, promise that it won't break xpdf, but it
shouldn't.

- --
Sean Murphy <s.murphy at acherial.homelinux.net>
http://acherial.homelinux.net/~trifith/

GPG key fingerprint
D0FB 5DA1 2DDB 91D8 AD57 75BA 22F7 C2B1 7464 8A9F
Public Key: http://acherial.homelinux.net/~trifith/public_key.asc

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which
feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget
that ye were our countrymen.
- - Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776