[TriLUG] Broken kmail in Debian sarge?

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Wed Jan 5 23:48:25 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 07:08:49PM -0500, Tom Bryan wrote:
> So far, I just search for a package name in the dselect package list, select
> to add it, decide whether or not to install the packages it recommends, and
> install.

Dselect is quite fine if you like its interface. Its handling of
Suggests and Recommends tends to be much more intelligent than apt-get.
The version of Synaptic in Sid blows away both imo, and the version in
Ubuntu Hoary [and experimental] adds package authentication, among
other features.

> > Aptitude is much better, but both are clunky and hard to understand (in
> > my opinion).
>
> Thanks.  I'll take a look.

The nicest thing regarding aptitude is its logging facility.

> Some digging around online turned up kdepim-kio-plugins.  Installing that
> solved the problem.  I don't think that I had this package when kmail was
> working earlier, so perhaps the package just got split out as part of KDE
> 3.3.  After installing that package, I am now able to access an IMAP over SLL
> again.

Both dselect and apt-cache(8) show reveal that kdepim-kio-plugins is a
Recommends. It's always a good idea to take a look at the Suggests and
Recommends lines via apt-cache show. :)

apt-get in Sarge and in Sid, dselect, Synaptic, and aptitude all reveal
the Suggests and Recommends information.

Cheers!

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc