[TriLUG] Help testing Ogg streaming to a Mac

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Thu Jan 6 15:34:32 EST 2005

Is there someone out there with a Mac that could help me test something?
  I'm setting up some Ogg streams, and I need to make a recommendation
for a Mac player.  Aaron Joyner tried out several players for me and
found none of them to work.  I tried some of the same programs with a
Mac on campus and found them to work acceptably.  So now I need a few
more test points to see if Aaron's problem might have been his location.
  I need to make a solid recommendation.

Here are the players I've tried:
Audion:		http://www.panic.com/audion/
MacAmp Lite:	http://www.bigblueamoeba.com/~pxr/pub/
Whamb:		http://www.whamb.com/

I also tried:
Ogg Quicktime Components:	http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/
This would be great if it worked, but it only seems to work with local
files not streams.  Don't know if anyone else knows it it might be
possible.  This would be ideal.

VLC:		http://www.videolan.org/
This looked like a nice program, but the audio quality had clicks and
pops rather frequently, which is unacceptable.

The stream I have set up is at:
http://wknc.org:8002/wknchq.ogg.m3u

Right now it's just a CD of mostly John Williams playing over and over.

So if someone out there with a Mac wouldn't mind testing these programs
for me under OS X I'd very much appreciate.  I'd like to have a good
recommendation for Ogg on Mac when I make the stream public.

Thanks,
Joel Ebel