[TriLUG] Backup on USB HD lost

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 16:38:46 EST 2005

Arghhh.

I had a similar scary moment recently.

I've just setup my rsync based backup system based on Jeremy's presentation.

After this I had a problem with apache failing to start correctly
after I'd done an apt-get upgrade. I figured that one of the config
files had gotten clobbered when a new httpd package got installed.

So I figured that I'd diff the current httpd config files with a
recent backup.

I was horrified when I tried to look at /snapshot/hourly.2 and found
that the /snapshot directory was empty.

It took me a while to figure out that the problem was that my R/O
mount to snapshot wasn't automatic. I'd booted the system and lost the
mount.  When I mounted it it was there, so no big loss.

At least in my case it was just a momentary scare.