[TriLUG] null modem cable?

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Mon Jan 10 12:24:20 EST 2005

By the way, a Sparcstation serial port is not exactly the same as a
regular db25 serial port.  My Sparcstations have port-a and port-b
on the same connector, with slightly different pin-out from the
standard used on the PC world, and port-a can be set to synchronous.
See:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SUNERGY/TrCOMM_CPU_Serial_Ports.html

and:
http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-cable/serial-cable-connections.htm

You may be able to get away with a regular 25-9-pin IBM-style serial
cable if you use port-a, but I always had better luck fashioning my own.
I know at hamfests and other trade meets Sun cables that break out port-a
and port-b to standard db25 (and db9) connectors are around.  In fact
Stay Online might have them as new.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA