[TriLUG] SATA controllers and drives

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jan 13 02:18:55 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 18:53 -0500, ljacobs wrote:
> What have been people's experiences with 3Ware or other SATA
> controllers running RAID5 under CentOS or other distros? And
> have you built arrays with 300GB or 250GB drives? How big?

Hi "ljacobs",

We've tried to build multi-terabyte arrays using dual-opteron systems
(Tyan 2885 boards) and the very latest 3ware 9500-series cards.  We've
had nothing but trouble with two systems and and our woes are documented
on the LKML.  I *think* we somehow got MBs that just weren't happy with
those 3ware cards but we haven't ruled out 3ware's drivers, either
(tried on both Fedora Core and RHEL and were unable to build
sufficiently stable arrays to actually use them).

So if you decide to build-your-own, be careful!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307