[TriLUG] installing m0n0wall

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Thu Jan 13 23:45:58 EST 2005

we found the reason the our m0n0wall installation wasn't working on our
test box tonight.  the downloaded disk image is actually gzipped,
unfortunately though the filename doesn't reflect that.  therefore what
we tried didn't result in a bootable CF card:

dd if=generic-pc-xxx.img | dd of=/dev/hdX

instead we should have done this:

gunzip -c generic-pc-xxx.img | dd of=/dev/hdX bs=16k

*shrug* live and learn.  thanks to all who attended tonight, and thanks
to greg for his presentation.  also, for those who are interested the
2004 trilug financial report is available at:

http://www.trilug.org/~jason/2004-year-end-report.sxc

jason