[TriLUG] samba and SMP in Sarge

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Jan 14 13:23:00 EST 2005

Hey Guys and Gals,
   Those of you who have seen my (Cheetah2) contributions in the IRC
channel recently are already somewhat aware of what I'm working on.
Enabling SMP in Debian Sarge via custom-building my kernel.

Well.

I got the new kernel compiled with 4 processor support (because each
Xeon looks like two CPUs).  Now the problem is Samba.  ian2 already
knows what I am experiencing, and I believe I have narrowed it down to a
kernel module issue.

Does anyone know of known issues regarding samba and SMP?  Even when I
build samba into the kernel, I get errors when I try to create or modify
files in a samba share (apparently a problem setting create/modify times
on the files).  If I boot my non-SMP kernel, samba works fine.

I'd sure like to be able to HyperThread AND work with samba shares, if
at all possible...  (-:

Thanks in advance for all the input!

Cheers,
~Brian