[TriLUG] Digital Cameras

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Fri Jan 14 16:49:23 EST 2005

Just before X-mas I bought a Kodak DX7440 and the kodak printer/dock.
I chose the camera for a few specific reasons - it had a lot of "scene"
modes that were missing from the others (snow, beach, sunset, etc.)
and can shoot video at VGA (640x480) unlimited in length (except by
the memory, of course).  Most cameras I looked at have a silly 30 second
limit, regardless of available memory.  At VGA, it's only 16fps, but
will be great for grandkid vids for the grandparents.  It also has
a higher-grade lens (german) and 4x optical zoom than the consumer-level
cameras.

If the first batch of x-mas pictures is any indication, the camera
shoots amazingly good pics regardless of the fool behind the shutter  ;)

The prints are pricey from the printer (>40c per print), but the
grandparents love those instance pics.  I think the printer prints
darn good pics.  Supposedly, they have a much greater resistance to
soiling and fading than inkjet printers.  We'll see.  Also, you can
do some minor cropping on-camera before printing.

Wolf/Ritz had a deal with the DX7440 and the printer for $400 after
the $50 mail-in rebate scam.

HTH,

Brian McCullough wrote:
> My sister sent me a note asking what I would recommend as a "good"
> digital camera, and not being currently interested in that market, I
> don't have any good answers for her.  She also wondered about possible
> printers to go with such a camera.  A friend mentioned an Epson
> "do-everything" printer that takes the data from the camera, shows it on
> a screen, manipulates the picture and then prints it, all for about
> $100!

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software