[TriLUG] DSL & cable modem

johnm john280z at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 21:05:40 EST 2005

 > cate serino wrote:

>Thanks for a great triLUG meeting.  I have recently moved to the area and
>I am interested in getting my Linux server up and running again.  I am
>looking for the cheapest network conncection (DSL or cable modem) in the
>Raleigh\Durham\Cary\Apex area.  I probally will be looking to have my own
>IP.  Any suggestions?

   I have Time Warner Cable service ( actually Earthlink, a couple of
bucks cheaper than RoadRunner, but physical network!). Works great, good
download speed ( about 2 months ago I upgraded RealPlayer, it downloaded
9 Meg at 730kb/s (local server cache?)). I like it a lot. I have a
Siemens router attached to the cable modem that is connected to my house
machines.
   I do not have a fixed IP, can't comment on that.
   The area where you are will determine the choices, my dial up speed
was 14,400, sometimes 19K so Cable is a LOT faster here. I'm about 15
miles South of Chapel Hill in Pittsboro. great commute for Cary/ CH, not
so good for Durham or north Raleigh.
john mitchell