Was Re: [TriLUG] Latecomer to the RoadRunner party, now "Wheeee!!"

Mark Wilson glenlivet at trilug.org
Mon Jan 17 08:43:53 EST 2005

johnm wrote:

>   I will "top" post this - Great to hear from you, I will keep my
> fingers crossed on Firday for you. I have been irc'ing for the last 30
> days and hanging out on trilug's irc channel. Hope to 'see' you there
> soon.
>
> johnm
>

> Mark Wilson wrote:
>
>> Howdy, John!
>> Again, thanks for the NICs!  I just installed one of them, and though
>> I have no network to test it on, I had downloaded the drivers and the
>> Windows-side installation went okay (there at first seemed to be a
>> few problems as the install process looked for certain files on the
>> Win98SE CD and didn't find them; it complained that installation
>> didn't finish, but when I rebooted the exclamation point on the
>> yellow bkgrnd. I'd seen before next to its entry under CtrlPanel -->
>> System --> Devices was gone.  So now I await my installation
>> appointment Friday when the cable guy comes to activate the cable in
>> my den...
>>
>> (BTW, Linux seems also to properly detect the existence of the card
>> -- I did a 'dmesg | less' and saw reference to the card with no error
>> msgs. Keeping all crossable digits crossed!
>> Happy penguin trails!
>> Mark  PS probably won't be able to come to TriLUG, as I'd have to get
>> off work early, and have way too much to do this week.  Next time
>> I'll be sporting the Debian baseball shirt I got from www.cafepress.com!

Hey John et al.
Flyin' high & fast, no matter what 'runway' I take off from!   Two
things remain for me to figure out (as I am a chronic newbie)
1) how to automatically start the dhcp client daemon on boot-up, and
2) figuring out if my Agnula distro compiled iptables or ipchains into
its specially-patched kernel for multimedia.  That could simply be a
matter of, er, asking them.  Also, whatever their response, as per
Jeremy P's recommendation, I'll have to learn how to configure a
firewall, as this I am definitely not a sysadmin by profession, and this
is the first time I've ever managed a box that doesn't run a dial-up
'Net connection.
Thanks for being there! :-)
-Mark
Fayetteville, NC