[TriLUG] OT: Dell laptop model PP06-L

johnm john280z at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 17 14:54:58 EST 2005

Greg Brown wrote:

> My wife works with a guy who owns a dead Dell P4 model PP06-L (big,
> giant beastly tank of a laptop).  The motherboard is dead and he says
> that he can get a new one from Dell for a reasonable price.  He has
> asked me to replace the motherboard for him.  I have never opened a
> dell laptop.  Is this something I want to even attempt?  I have a
> feeling I'm going to have to deal with special tools, etc.  I was just
> curious if anyone had ever tried this before.

   Greg, are you sure this is a "Dell Laptop" ? I just went over to the
Dell site to see it there is a service manual and they make no models
with"PP" in the model number.
   If it is a Dell, get the service tag number, usually on bottom on
laptops. Should be a 5 or 7 alpha/num type such as "G99YT866" or so.
  I have a phillips/torx/regular Craftsman set I got about 5 years ago
at Sears. I got tired of never having a good set when I needed it and am
very happy with this.

john mitchell