[TriLUG] Creating an alias IP on knoppix <SOLVED>

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Jan 18 00:27:16 EST 2005

Hi all,

After some research, I found the answers to most of the questions I asked...

On Monday 17 January 2005 02:31 pm, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Monday 17 January 2005 10:44 am, paul wrote:

> > > how to

> > > ifconfig <iface> add <address>
> >
> > this in the /etc/network/interfaces somewhere under your other ethx
> > stuff. not all that different really.
> >
> > auto eth0:0
> > iface eth0:0 inet static
> >         address 10.28.32.98
> >         netmask 255.255.255.0
> >         network 10.28.32.0
> >         broadcast 10.28.32.255
>
> Thanks Paul,
>
> I confirm that your syntax works perfectly. Thanks.
>
> Now I have some other questions:
>
> How do I restart the network (that means all interfaces). In RH or Mandrake
> I'd do this:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart
>
> There's no such thing in Knoppix. How would I do it? In general, how does
> one restart a service in Knoppix?

In Knoppix, /etc/init.d is the equivalent of RH/Mandrake's /etc/rc.d/init.d.
To restart the network, do this:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Note that there are a bunch of other services in /etc/init.d.

> Secondly, how would one configure eth0:0 to be a whole range? In
> Redhat/Mandrake, the old way was to put this in ifcfg-eth0:0:
>
> IPADDR=192.168.100.100-110
>
> The new way is to put the following in ifcfg-eth0-range0:
>
> IPADDR_START=192.168.100.200
> IPADDR_END=192.168.100.219
> CLONENUM_START=0

I haven't yet figured out how to do a whole range in Knoppix.

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG
http://www.golug.org