[TriLUG] Moving /home and others to new partitions

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 11:09:18 EST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:44:19 -0500, Steve Litt
<slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> Without addressing any of your other questions, I'd like to give some advice
> on the copy. Most people accomplish this type of tree copy not with the cp -R
> command, but with either tar or cpio. The reason is that these archiving
> utilities really do a good job with ownership, permissions, timestamps,
> hardlinks and symlinks.

"rsync -aH" will do that for you too.  (-H = preserve hard links, -a =
archive which
implies recurse into directories,  copy symlinks as symlinks, preserve
permissions,
preserve times, preserve group, preserve owner (root only), and
preserve devices (root only).
I generally will use this command line to get a nice progress display too:

rsync -avH --progress --stats /path/to/src /path/to/dest

Cheers,
Tanner