[TriLUG] FW: OSCON Call For Proposals Now Open

Jim Wright JWright at NetCentrics.com
Thu Jan 20 14:41:16 EST 2005

In case anyone has something they want to present at OSCON...I went last
year...it's worth it just to be in Portland in August...very nice.

-----Original Message-----
From: O'Reilly Conferences [mailto:elists-admin at oreillynet.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 2:30 PM
To: Jim Wright
Subject: OSCON Call For Proposals Now Open

The Call for Proposals has just opened for the
7th Annual O'Reilly Open Source Convention
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/

OSCON is headed back to friendly, economical Portland, Oregon during the
week of August 1-5, 2005. If you've ever wanted to join the OSCON
speaker firmament, now's your chance to submit a proposal (or two) by
February 13, 2005.

Complete details are available on the OSCON web site, but we're
particularly interested in exploring how software development is moving
to another level, and how developers and businesses are adjusting to new
business models and architectures. We're looking for sessions,
tutorials, and workshops proposals that appeal to developers, systems
and network administrators, and their managers in the following areas:

- All aspects of building applications, services, and systems that use
the new capabilities of the open source platform
- Burning issues for Java, Mozilla, web apps, and beyond
- The commoditization of software: who and/or what can show us the
money?
- Network-enabled collaboration
- Software customizability, including software as a service
- Law, licensing, politics, and how best to navigate other troubled
waters

Specific topics and tracks at OSCON 2005 include: Linux and other open
source operating systems, Java, PHP, Python, Perl, Databases (including
MySQL and PostgreSQL), Apache, XML, Applications, Ruby, and Security.

Attendees have a wide range of experience, so be sure to target a
particular level of experience: beginner, intermediate, advanced. Talks
and tutorials should be technical; strictly no marketing presentations.
Session presentations are 45 or 90 minutes long, and tutorials are
either a half-day (3 hours) or a full day (6 hours).

Feel free to spread the word about the Call for Proposals to your
friends, family, colleagues, and compatriots. We want everyone to
submit, from American women hacking artificial life into the Linux
kernel to Belgian men building a better mousetrap from PHP and recycled
military hardware. We mean everyone!

Even if you don't want to participate as a speaker, send us your
suggestions--topics you'd like to see covered, groups we should bring
into the OSCON fold, extra-curricular activities we should organize--to
oscon-idea at oreilly.com .

This year, we're moving to the wide open spaces of the Oregon Convention
Center. We've arranged for the nearby Doubletree Hotel to be our
headquarters hotel--it's a short, free Max light rail ride (or a lovely
walk) from the Convention Center.

Registration opens in April 2005; hotel information will be available
shortly.

Deadline to submit a proposal is Midnight (PST), February 13.

For all the conference details, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/

Press coverage, blogs, photos, and news from the 2004 O'Reilly Open
Source Convention can be found at: http://www.oreillynet.com/oscon2004/

Would your company like to make a big impression on the open source
community? If so, consider exhibiting or becoming a sponsor. Contact
Andrew Calvo at (707) 827-7176, or andrewc at oreilly.com for more info.

See you Portland next summer,

The O'Reilly OSCON Team

O'Reilly Media, Inc.
1005 Gravenstein Highway North, Sebastopol, CA  95472