[TriLUG] OFF-TOPIC - Snow "Storm"?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 11:39:21 EST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:12:53 -0500, Jim Ray <jim at neuse.net> wrote:
> >  It's the first time I've ever dropped into 4wd-low for snow/ice.
>
> I dropped into 2 foot drive, parked my blessed minivan in a gridlock near
> ncsu and walked home with my two children in my arms.  What a mess.  I've
> never seen anything so bad when living in Chicago or in my native NC in my
> 43 years.

Yesterday afternoon, my wife and I drove down to Triangle Town Center
from Wake Forest. I was amazed at the number of abandoned cars we saw
at the side of the road.  I was beginning to wonder if those folks who
believe in the "end-times" were right and there had been a
"mini-rapture" and many of us had been "left behind."

I'm a home worker myself, so my commute isn't much affected by the
weather, as long as the power stays on so I can see as I climb the
stairs to my bonus room/office.  On Wednesday though, we'd gone down
to Best Buy on Capital to try to find a DVD as a birthday present for
one of the neighborhood kids. As we came out of the store the flakes
were just starting to fall. We drove back to the Harris Teeter near
home and did some planned grocery shopping. By the time we got out the
roads were quite dicey.

I've been down here for over 20 years now having spent the first half
of my life in Connecticut and the Hudson Valley in New York. In those
20 years, I've pretty much gotten over my amazement about how so
little snow can cause so much havoc in these parts.