Community Knowledge (was Re: [TriLUG] Fwd: [Centos] in CentOS 3.4, mod_auth_ldap ?)

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Sat Jan 22 07:05:26 EST 2005

[2005-01-21 10:50] David McDowell said:
| Maybe... but let me play devil's advocate... wouldn't a wiki allow
| edits of my notes, not just by me?  That frightens me... b/c I'm
| extremely anal about my notes!  :)

  There are a number of wiki that that allow public readonly
access.  For one, there is SnipSnap (http://snipsnap.org).
I've recently began hacking on SnipSnap to freeze some of its
warts off.  I ended up choosing SnipSnap because of its
decent feature set and language (Java; please no Java-ain't-
Open-Source jabs :-)  I just happen to like java, and, well,
it's easy to sell to customers...but back to the story).

  I have a hacked up version of Snip running here
(http://mutt.rcfile.org:8180/snipsnap-dbv/space/start)
if you want to kick it around.  You can log in with
member/member to see it from the RW side.  Be aware that
I am likely to be hacking this thing to death this weekend,
so if you get errors it's just me working something out.
And don't put anything of value in there--I wipe the
db out fairly frequently...

  My only coplaint thus far with Snip is that development
seemed to be kind of slow.  This is probably due to the
fact that a company "owns" the project and nobody has
bothered to insist on contributing (and getting some
community dev. momentum).  Of course, it could be that
Snip is a horrible piece of software, but I'll know the
state of things soon enough :-P

  BTW, If you (or anyone else) decides to try Snip, please
do get your feedback/wishes to the developers.  Feel free
to funnel those things through me, if you'd like, because
I might already have the problem/feature-request on my
getting-shorter-by-the-day TODO list.  And as soon as the
developers get their new svn repository up, I'll start
submitting my changes.

cheers.

(holy crap, it's amazing how much one will type when his
 brain is synched in to the topic at hand...  sorry for
 the verbosity to those without interest ;-))