[TriLUG] Virtual Domains Question

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 21:58:29 EST 2005

Aaron,

While what you've said is quite true, it's not the end of the story.  There can
be a legitimate need to rewrite e-mail address return addresses for
command line programs like mutt, etc...  While I have no idea how to
do it in sendmail, in postfix, you can use the "sender_canonical_maps"
parameter in /etc/postfix/main.cf to accomplish this.  I'm using exactly
this setup on a box I'm running with great results.  For virtual domain I
host we have defined the following line in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/maps/sender_map

And in the file sender_map it's just a list of logins and their full e-mail
address.  (Specifically, what it does is map between unqualified addresses,
that is addresses without a domain on them and fully quailified addresses).
For instance:

# sender_maps file
user1 user1 at virtualdomain.com
user2 user2 at virtualdomain.com
user3 user3 at adifferentvirtualdomain.com

This seems to be exactly what you're looking for, Mark.  Right?

There's almost certainly a similar feature in sendmail that some
of the sendmail gurus (*cough* Jon Carnes *cough*) can tell you
about.

Cheers,
Tanner