[TriLUG] need help for Linux installation

johnm john280z at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 27 08:54:23 EST 2005

 > Shantanu Shaligram wrote:

>1.	What Linux I should use?

  I would suggest trying several of the "Live CD's" that are available.
(and Jon C beat me to it). The Live CD's do not install to your hard
drive, they run in your Ram memory and when you finish and power off,
your PC will be as before you started. Please note that they do tend to
run slower as some items need to be read from the CD.
   However, they are a VERY good at:

1) Seeing the "look and feel" of the different Linuxes.
2) Detecting (or not detecting) your hardware, sometimes there can be
problems with the video and sound drivers.

   With that said, I can't comment on their use in Database land.
Are you wanting to "dual boot" with Windows also on the Laptop?
And most important, is there any way you can make the next Trilug meeting?

john mitchell