[TriLUG] OT: firewire raid?

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 27 10:00:30 EST 2005

A quick google search confirms that firewire raid is possible.  I am
wondering if anyone has tried that and, if so, did you suffer any
strange lockups or unexplained data loss?  The reason I investigating
this is I was thinking of replacing my old, no raid, P-II disk server
with a newer P-4, SATA RAID, blah, blah, blah.  Now I think that
because I have primary Mac clients I might pick up a G4 powermac off
ebay (they are reasonably priced these days), get some kind of firewire
(800 perhaps?) external raid device and use this machine as my primary
disk and print server.

I'm a bit frightened about the firewire raid so I am soliciting
comments.  Obviously X-RAID is well out of my price range and is not an
option.

Greg