[TriLUG] the xinetd service sgi_fam

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:23:01 EST 2005

sgi-fam is a security-related daemon that can monitor system file
integrity and network access attempts.

This is the basics of what I can find about this xinetd service.  I'm
running CentOS 3.4 and also find sgi_fam to be annoying in FC3 as
well.  In the end, what occurs is that I cannot umount a SMB share b/c
sgi_fam won't let it go.  I forgot to take a note, but last time this
happened I did something like fuser kill with a couple options...
iirc.

Anyway, the main point of my query is this: is sgi_fam necessary for
anything??  If not, I'd like to disable it completely as it keeps
getting in my way.  In my attemps to do so, I seem to be failing to
disable it.  I edited /etc/xinetd.d/sgi_fam and the top line is:

#default: on

so I figured I should add this line under that:

default: off   #since this line isn't commented it should work right?

I did service xinetd restart and reload and neither caused sgi_fam to
turn off.  I also happened to have a new kernel to boot to, so I
rebooted and sgi_fam is still on!

thanks,
David McD