[TriLUG] Hardware reccomendations?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jan 31 16:09:06 EST 2005

On Monday 31 January 2005 03:59 pm, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> LUGGERS,
>

>    I'm looking to get a cheap (not much over $100) motherboard / processor
> upgrade.
>
> I have some PC266 memory, and would like to use that, I have a case to put
> it in, with power supply etc.
>

> I'm inclined to go with AMD processors, mostly because of price, and have
> had good experience with them.
>

> The questions are,
>
> - Has anyone got such an animal left over from upgrades?
> - Have you got a reccomendation to look for, or stay away from?

This is one man's opinion, but I no longer buy PCChips mobos even if they're
free. To me, the time lost from the uncertainties of installing a PCchips
mobo is more costly than the money to buy an Asus or Abit. Here at
Troubleshooters.Com, you can't get fired for buying Asus or Abit.

That being said, many friends whose opinions I respect like PCchips.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG
http://www.golug.org