[TriLUG] OT: hard disk recommendation

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Thu Feb 3 10:56:15 EST 2005

I'll have to throw in my comments as well.  First off, Quantum hard
drives aren't sold new anymore.  Neither are IBM.  Quantum got bought by
Maxtor, and IBM sold their storage division to Hitachi.  So now, the
major brands are Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate, and Hitachi.  They
all have their strong points.

I recommend checking out storagereview.com.  Not only do they
extensively review the performance of drives, but there is a reliability
survey.  You can get an idea of the experiences of others.  It's a
sufficiently large sample size as to gather some useful information.
But it's true that a new line of drives won't necessarily match the
reliability of any previous model by the same manufacturer.  I'll let
you come to your own conclusions from the site.  But here are some of my
thoughts about drive manufacturers.

Western Digital drives are very popular.  Mostly, in my opinion, because
they were the first on the block with the 8 MB cache.  Which is a great
idea, but now everyone is doing it.  The aging Western Digital special
edition drives are no longer top performers, but they remain popular.
However, the SATA Raptor series is one of the fastest drives you can
buy, but they are quite expensive.  But nonetheless, many people got
familiar with Western Digitals special edition drives and are now quite
comfortable with them.  I use several of the 120 and 160 GB models and
haven't had any problems.  But I know that some people have.  I don't
know about the larger sizes and their reliability, but I do know that
recently the warranty on even the special editions went down to 1 year.
  You could purchase a longer warranty for something like $15, but after
purchasing a drive, it's upsetting to have to pay more for a warranty.
It's still only three years.  If they skimp on their warranty, it makes
me wonder how much they skimp on the quality if they don't want to back
it up.

Seagate drives have a reputation for being quiet.  If you like quiet,
then Seagate is a good choice.  They also, last I checked, have the best
warranty.  5 years even on the low end drives.  That's worth a lot.
They stand behind their drives.  I know a lot of people respect the
quality of Seagate drives.  But you always take your chances.  Several
years ago, I had a 9.1 GB 10k rpm SCSI Seagate cheetah.  At the time,
that was the top of the line.  I had to send that drive in twice to get
it replaced.  The second time it was replaced I got one that makes a
painfully high pitched whine.  I can't stand to be in the same room as
it anymore.  But that goes to show that even the best drives have a
distinct possibility for failure.  In fact, some of the lower speed and
capacity drives may have better reliability because of wider tolerances.
  Seagate IDE drives haven't been top performers for quite some time,
but lots of people love the quiet, and the warranty/reliability.

Maxtor got a fairly bad reputation in the past for quality.  I had bad
experiences myself with an 11 GB Maxtor IDE drive that went bad after 2
weeks.  I took it back for a replacement, and the next one went bad in 2
days.  I got a full refund after that and haven't bought a Maxtor
intentionally since.  However, I believe Maxtor's reputation has
improved.  They have quite good performance, as the MaxLine III
currently holds the leaderboard position.  I also discovered that my
TiVo had a Maxtor drive in it, and it hasn't had any problems.  It is a
5400 rpm drive however, which as I stated might improve reliability.

IBM drives, now Hitachi did get a bad reputation with their Deathstar
(Deskstar) series.  It's too bad, because they performed quite well when
they worked.  But IBM hard drives are all but gone, and I'm not sure how
much technology goes into the current Hitachi drives.  But once again,
Hitachi drives perform quite well, holding the previous leaderboard
position on storagereview with the 7k400, and before that with the
7k250.  I don't have much experience with new Hitachi drives, so I can't
say much about them.  They are quite popular in laptops, but they
certainly aren't without problems.  My thinkpad is on its 3rd Hitachi
hard drive.  Fortunately no data was lost either time.  The first
problem was that I couldn't write to it.  I could read everything off to
back it up though, which was quite convenient.  The second problem was
extremely poor performance.

So there's my opinions.  Take them as you will because others will
definitely feel differently.  I tried to be objective.  But again, read
through storagereview if you want some other opinions.  It's been a
while since I've looked much at hard drives, so my data could be out of
date.

Good luck,
Joel