[TriLUG] >4 GB HIMEM Question

James james at layyze.com
Thu Feb 3 11:42:21 EST 2005

> I believe you, I'm just confused.  We didn't do anything special on our
> system.  Are you using AS or ES?
>
> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Linux Advanced Server release 2.1AS (Pensacola)
>
> $ uname -r
> 2.4.9-e.49enterprise
>
> Mike

cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 3)

uname -r
2.4.21-4.ELsmp

  Although, at this point I'm not sure if my question is still relevant
because we went ahead and moved to 64 bit linux.  Apparently, even if
PAE is supported on the Opteron processors you cannot address more the 4
GB per process with PAE and/or the linux high memory option and my
process requires 6.5 GB of RAM.  So really, 64 bit was the only way that
this was going to work from the beginning.
  I still think that my original question may be an interesting one to
research as more people get 64 bit hardware, but are forced to stay with
a 32 bit OS.

Thanks for your help!
-James