[TriLUG] thinking about RR Biz again.

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon Feb 7 16:52:56 EST 2005

Christopher L Merrill wrote:

> Now you have.  We have one right now.  Our plan is $90/mo.  It went
> down from $100 (added the static IP) when we moved our office and
> signed a new 1-yr contract in December.

I stand corrected.  Maybe it was their way of telling me they didn't
want my business.  How long have y'all had the contract?

> $80/mo is closer to what I was seeing, too.  Also, the $80/mo price
> colo is probably for a 1u rack-mount unit, right?  Rack-mounts are not
> cheap, so if the OP has a tower server, then factor in the cost of a
> new server, too.  So TWC remains cheaper, assuming bandwidth is not
> an issue (such as hosting a personal site).

I'm hosted on their hardware.  They provided it to me.  It's not
terribly high end, but it's worked quite well.  Plus, when a piece of
hardware dies, they replace it for free.  Of course, a colo does have
added niceties such as UPS, generators, redundant links, etc.  Comparing
it simply on a cost basis to RR isn't fair.  But even if you do, it's
not -way- different.

> Of course, this is all moot for me, since I use DynDNS and host on
> the residential RR plan for $45/mo.  But our business would probably
> jump on a chance to co-lo a tower server for $45/mo.

My last post on this one too.  I just wanted to offer up my experience,
which was I could get residential RR plus a colo for cheaper than what I
could get a static IP through RR.

Mike