[TriLUG] Printer Recommendation

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue Feb 8 14:18:49 EST 2005

Hello all,

I think this was covered on the list a couple of months ago, but I
thought I would welcome any new comments.

I am in the market for a new printer.  My wife and kids would like
color, I personally don't care.  Budget is limited so, so color lasers
even the cheap ones are probably out.  Anyone have a good
recommendation that works well under *nix?  It will be shared via CUPS
or more likely samba with winderz boxen of my wife and kids.  I have a
Okidata 400e laser that is old and still works, although I am having
cups problems with it. <sarcasm> hm, what a surprise cups is hard to
get working </sarcasm>.  Anyhow I'm probably looking for a deskjet.  I
like epson's single color cartridges and have been fairly disappointed
in the HP offerings the last couple of years. Although there is
something to be said for HP's print head being in the cartridge.

Finally do any of the All In One units work under *nix with all the
features working.  Since my scanner broke, it would be nice to have a
scanner again, but not really necesarry for the small number of times
I have to scan.

And yes, I have been to linuxprinting.org.

Thoughts, comments much appreciated.

Matt Pusateri