[TriLUG] Printer Recommendation

Jim Wright JWright at NetCentrics.com
Tue Feb 8 18:18:00 EST 2005

On the color laserjet, don't just look at the initial cost.  Those dang
ink cartridges add up when the kids are printing off color pages from
disney.com.  I think the last stats I saw was that color inkjet runs
about 25cpp and color laserjet runs about 9cpp.

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Matt Pusateri
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 2:19 PM
To: trilug at trilug.org
Subject: [TriLUG] Printer Recommendation

Hello all,

I think this was covered on the list a couple of months ago, but I
thought I would welcome any new comments.

I am in the market for a new printer.  My wife and kids would like
color, I personally don't care.  Budget is limited so, so color lasers
even the cheap ones are probably out.  Anyone have a good recommendation
that works well under *nix?  It will be shared via CUPS or more likely
samba with winderz boxen of my wife and kids.  I have a Okidata 400e
laser that is old and still works, although I am having cups problems
with it. <sarcasm> hm, what a surprise cups is hard to get working
</sarcasm>.  Anyhow I'm probably looking for a deskjet.  I like epson's
single color cartridges and have been fairly disappointed in the HP
offerings the last couple of years. Although there is something to be
said for HP's print head being in the cartridge.

Finally do any of the All In One units work under *nix with all the
features working.  Since my scanner broke, it would be nice to have a
scanner again, but not really necesarry for the small number of times I
have to scan.

And yes, I have been to linuxprinting.org.

Thoughts, comments much appreciated.

Matt Pusateri