[TriLUG] SCSI vs. SATA in theory

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Thu Feb 10 15:00:22 EST 2005

We had HP server engineering staff in here a little while back.  They are
making most of the Proliant line, the 300 series at least, available as
SATA or Parallel SCSI now, and moving in the direction of Serial SCSI over
the long term.

We asked the engineering team about SATA vs SCSI and the MTBF etc, they
said that their testing shows about 1/2 of the MTBF for ATA/SATA.   That's
not so good, we have a load of Proliant DL360's going out, about 1200 of
them over the next year.  We also learned that the Warranty of the SATA
disks is only 1 year, where the Warranty on the SCSI disks are 3 years, if
you expect to keep these things up for years, you really should just go
with the SCSI disks.

The performance of SCSI is still generally faster, SATA makes headway, but
now there's Serial SCSI on the horizon, SCSI should widen the performance
gap once again.

Kevin