[TriLUG] OT looking for Gimp book recommendation

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 10:40:16 EST 2005

For quite some time, especially in the GIMP 1.x days, I have been a
huge NON supporter of GIMP.  However, after I installed FC3 and saw
GIMP 2.x and the way the program is progressing, I have changed my
mind and have recently tinkered with GIMP.  By NO means am I leaving
Photoshop behind, but GIMP seems to be fairly full featured, and
surprisingly good.  I still don't like the way the program "looks"...
it's not so smooth and the checkerboard background on transparent
images is still REALLY hard to look through.  I wish they'd learn
something from the way Photoshop does this.

So, all that said, if you have ever used Photoshop before, GIMP is
becoming a better alternative to those who can't afford Photoshop or
simply won't use commercial software.  I say read the local help
files, hopefully they have good info.

good luck,
David McD