[TriLUG] Odd Network problem

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Mon Feb 14 10:17:53 EST 2005

I'm not sure I saw anyone mention this, so I'll add it.

This symptom can be caused by a device in the network performing proxy arp.
Reasonable culprits are things that do "fancy" NAT.  Unreasonable culprits
are hosts made to do the bidding of evil-doers by crashing VLANs and
performing MitM tricks.

An example of the former is a Cisco PIX with statics on a lower security
interface.  To stop the behavior in this case you'd use the not-so-well
documented command "sysopt noproxyarp <interface>".  Anyway, this is just an
example to help you consider possible culprits in your environment.