[TriLUG] Volunteers requested for School Home Loaner Linux Project

Mark Peters trilug at thepeters.org
Tue Feb 15 22:48:09 EST 2005

Hi,

TechCoaches is looking for some volunteers to develop a Linux
distribution for our growing home loaner program for students in the
Chapel Hill/Carrboro district who do not currently have internet access.

We are currently using 200+ thin clients to provide internet and citrix
access to our students to the school system from home via dial-up.  The
thin clients are slightly customized for the school district (modem
added), are more expensive than refurb PCs, require customization of
each unit, support a limited subset of desired requirements, and have
other limitations.  We need to support another 800+ student loaners and
want to use Linux instead of the WinCE-based thin clients.

This is a perfect opportunity to leverage Linux.  We want a
bootable-from-CD version which would start fresh at each boot and would
be low maintenance.  (ie - virus-free at each boot, free of config
change problems, etc).

The first draft of our requirements are located at
http://www2.chccs.k12.nc.us/education/components/whatsnew/default.php?sectiondetailid=8599&id=291&viewType=detail

Please email me if you are interested in this opportunity or have
suggestions on our approach.

Thanks!
Mark Peters
TechCoaches Volunteer Program Director (parent)
www.techcoaches.org