[TriLUG] How not to run a network

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Tue Feb 15 23:58:18 EST 2005

Humm.  I wonder if some of the tech bigwigs at my company have been
reading the same M$ glossies that your .edu friends have been reading.  We
recently had a number of firm and unalterable decrees on the subject of IT
policy sent out, some of which were not particularly well thought out:
- no downloading software from the internet (we do all know that the
internet isn't trustworthy, right?  by the way, if I do Perl development
for the company, does that mean my job is now outlawed?)
- no installing software unless it comes on a shrinkwrapped CD from a
vendor with whom we have licensed the software (yeah, now how about
running those Microsoft updates that my PC wants me to do?)
- no embedded account/password combinations in plaintext in programs
(wait...just about every program we have ftp's a report to a client
somewhere...are they going to allocate time/money/resources to bring the
existing infrastructure into compliance?)
- no external IM clients...use the corporate IM server with the corporate
IM client (no file transfer capability)
- any files with extensions (it seems) other than .txt or .dat are banned
from email attachments (but you can rename them to .dat if you like...)

**major frustration**

This isn't even just about blaming virii for everything.  This is about
people (dare I say, microserfs?) who believe that anything that can't be
administered with a few mouse clicks is somehow black magic, and suspect
at that, and the fact that they admin with a few mouse clicks somehow
confers upon them wisdom and knowledge equal to their perceived admin
power.

It seems that while Microsoft has succeeded in dumbing down the system
administration process on their servers, that a correlating trend has been
overlooked:  the dumbing down of Microsoft admins.

Is there a solution for this sort of ignorance?

William