[TriLUG] How not to run a network

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed Feb 16 10:17:45 EST 2005

The points are:
- If I can rename it anyway, then all that does is provide a slightly
higher barrier to the stupidity level, meaning I can still send some luser
a file labeled "your program.dat", tell them that it is useful in some way
or other, and have them wipe out their system.
- Likewise, it makes it a serious pain in my backside to send them
legitimate programs (the more so since the IS folks took away IM file
transfer).

In other words, it puts a crimp in my ability to do my job and doesn't (as
far as I can analyze the situation) do anything beyond stop Outlook from
being stupid.  Frankly that's not a sufficient reason to me.

Of course the fact that I have to use Windows to do UNIX development work
is a whole other sore point...

I should also like to point out that can/can't and will/won't are very
different things.  I agree that "can't" is probably indicative that
someone shouldn't be using a computer.  "won't" is debatable.  "doesn't
want to" is a whole other option that you left out in what sounded like a
targeted attack :)

William