[TriLUG] Sonance

Aaron Bockover abockover.trilug at aaronbock.net
Thu Feb 17 22:40:23 EST 2005

Hello,

I am currently developing an audio player, Sonance, that uses GStreamer,
and is developed on the Mono .NET platform. I have made two public
releases so far, and am seeking open source developers who might be
interested in working on this project.

Currently, Sonance works like XMMS/Beep. It plays music, has a playlist
and basic playlist features, and has metadata support. You can drag
directories / files into the playlist, and they'll be added. There is
searching support ("J" in XMMS), with an interface somewhat like
Firefox's find-in-page feature. It also supports shuffle and repeat
modes.

My goal is to develop Sonance into a media organization and playback
platform, like Rhythmbox and iTunes, but better, of course, and with a
much smaller footprint. I'll be using SQLite for the database, Amazon's
WSDL interfaces for CD covers and other metadata, and when it's ready,
libburn for playlist-to-CD burning. One big thing about Sonance is that
you will be able to use it as a "standalone" music player, like
XMMS/Beep, or as an organization platform, like Rhythmbox/iTunes. But
you don't *have* to import music into a library just to listen to it.

Check it out on GNOME Files if you're interested:
http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=782

And also the project web page, on my web site:
http://aaronbock.net/software/sonance/

If you're interested in becoming a developer on this project, please
contact me off list, at aaron at aaronbock.net.

--Aaron Bockover

--
Aaron Bockover