[TriLUG] RHEL KVM Switch Mouse Problem

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 22 15:46:59 EST 2005

Jason Tower wrote:

>>>belkin KVM switches suck, cut your losses and ditch it.  however, i can
>>>heartily recommend the little iogear models with integrated cables, both
>>>2
>>>and 4 port.  we've deployed at least half a dozen at client sites, ps2 is all i've ever used.  they rock.

Jason - so, you've never seen this problem with the IOgear KVMs? I was
afraid of that - it might be something to do with the Belkin KVM and not
something you can fix with a change to the X config files. You're right,
overall, about the Belkins: the older ones sucked. The one I'm using is
the "Omniview E", which hasn't been a bad switch, except that it "meeps"
every time you hit the button to switch between ports, and I don't think
there's a keyboard shortcut to do the switching either.

The IOgear units are interesting: a flourescent green "blob" with the
cables coming out the back. I had to buy the cables extra with this KVM,
so I spent a little over $120 all-up for the unit and cables. If I could
find a better KVM switch that would take the same cables, I would gladly
ditch it.  - JKB