[TriLUG] Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Group?

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 23 09:30:52 EST 2005

Matt Pusateri wrote:

>I may be interested, but the question I have to ask is: Does anyone
>care if I have an LPI certification.  And by anyone I mean the
>business/hiring world, not the world in general.  I pretty sure the
>world as a whole does not care what certifications I may have
>achieved.
>
>Or put another way, Is the LPI certification respected by the IT
>community as a whole?  How many job descriptions require it?  How many
>employers really even know what it is?
>
>Why should I spend my time, energy and money chasing a certification
>that may not advance my career?

At one job interview, I was literally shown the door once because I
don't have any certs. Heck, these people wanted me to have the A+, one
of the easiest possible certs.  I guess it didn't help when I told 'em
"certs are just a way for bartenders to get sys admin jobs". :-) So, I
can chalk up at least one lost job opportunity to not having a cert.
Wish I had an RHCE. I'd sit for the RHCE cert TODAY if I had the cash!