[TriLUG] OT: password generation

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Wed Feb 23 19:31:00 EST 2005

On Wed, February 23, 2005 5:22 pm, Warren Myers said:
> Howdy:
>
> I have been interested in cryptography for a long time, and know, as
> I'm sure most of you do, that passwords tend to be the weak point of a
> system.
>
> I recently wrote a password generator (available on my website
> http://warrenmyers.com/pwd.php or in slightly different form
> http://warrenmyers.com/stuff/pwd.zip, linux binary compressed) and am
> wondering if any of you have come across other random password
> generators, and what your experience in general of securing your
> passwords and accounts has been.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Warren
> --
> http://warrenmyers.com
> "Don't let the elephants see what the rabbits are doing." --Ben R Rich
> --

Sorry I hit send before I finished my thought.  I don't claim to be a
cryptographer, but it seems to me that if one were to use a password
generator from somewhere.  That it would lend more credence if you
could verify the experience of the author within well know
cryptographic circles.  This is not to intimate that the password
generator you have written is no good, it may be excellent, I don't
know.  I haven't looked at it and don't claim to be of sufficient
knowledge to evaluate it.  But when it comes to passwords and
security. the level of scrutiny has to be elevated.  Obviously other
software you run could just as easily if not more so lead to security
holes more than the password chosen.

Matt